Who can forget about Preston Pohl’s blind audition
on Season 5 of 'The Voice'? He won
After ‘The Voice’,
Recorded in Nashville, Preston Pohl’s debut EP ‘Livin’’ is set to be released later this year, but fans’ of Preston can GET NOW the first single, the title track. Not forgetting his soul background that so well goes with his signature smoky rasp, the single 'Livin'' is an uplifting dance-pop track with a little soul touch. A perfect release for the summer ahead that reminds us of 'living' every day like tomorrow may never come.
Direct Lyrics recently caught up with Preston Pohl for an EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW. We talked with the talented man about his journey on ‘The Voice’, his post-'The Voice' life, meeting Dan Muckala, and the recording of his debut EP.
1. We got to meet Preston Pohl through your audition on The Voice last year on season 5. What made you want to enter the talent show in the first place?
It was an amazing opportunity to show America what I can do and instantly connect with a fan base! Also, you have a chance to soak up advice from four mega superstars that are there to teach you and help you. Why pass on an opportunity to learn from the best?
2. You chose “Electric Feel” as your audition song. Did you know from DAY 1 you had to do “Electric Feel” or did you have other options in mind?
I had some other ones in mind, but I was pretty set on that song.
3. You got three coaches to turn around; the crowd in the studio went crazy for you, as well as viewers in their homes. Did you feel you had nailed the performance? Did you have any special feelings while you were performing? And did MGMT, at some point, contact you?
MGMT never contacted me, but I did feel that I did well. It's really hard to say because it all happened so fast! Before I knew it, I was back at the hotel celebrating with my parents.
4. How was Adam as coach? Was he really close with the members of his team?
Adam and I had fun together and we still always have some laughs when we see each other! He tries to be close with all of the team members, but it depends on how you approach him. It really was amazing to work up close and personal with someone that has had such success in the industry. He truly knows what he is talking about and his success is something musicians strive for.
5. People were disappointed by your early departure on the show. You even trended on Twitter! Did you feel your departure was truly justified? What did you do and how did you feel that night?
I felt a little hurt not to get the vote, but I feel as though everything happens for a reason. It was so amazing to see fan's support on Twitter after!
6. After The Voice, you continued with your music career doing gigs in Florida, and one day, you met super producer Dan Muckala. How did you two meet? And, why did you feel Dan was the perfect person to produce your music?
We met through mutual friends and just connected as soon as we got into the studio together. He has an amazing ear, like no one I have ever met. Working with him is a true honor.
7. Your sound is kind of a "refreshing” soul. This genre really suits your signature Smoky Rasp. Tell us, who are a few of your musical inspirations? And, how did you realize soul was the right fit for you?
I wouldn’t call myself a soul singer, honestly. That’s just a genre that people placed me in after I was on The Voice, but I do love soul music! I have a wide, wide range of influences such as; Deftones, Foo Fighters, Audio Slave, The Temptations, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Coldplay.
8. You will be releasing your debut EP later this year. How many songs will be featured? When did you record the first and the last track?
There will be 5 songs on the EP. I began the first song about 6 months ago, and the last song is still in the works, but almost done.
9. The EP is very personal to you. What is the songwriting process like for you?
We usually start at a piano and just come up with a situation that works. We pull from my life, Dan's life, and our other writer, Bryan Shackle.
10.Tell us a bit about the song “Livin”, and why did you feel it had to be the first single over the other songs on the EP?
It’s just a song that feels great! I have been in love with that song from about 5 minutes into writing it. I’m all about having a good time, and that’s what that song is about.
11.The song “Walls" talks about the interracial marriage of your parents and what couples in this situation have sometimes to go through. Was it easy telling this story? What did you parents think of the track?
That song came out pretty quick actually. It’s close to the heart so it pretty much poured out onto paper. My parents still have not heard it! I'm keeping it a secret for them!
12.Another song on the EP is called "Enemy". It talks about infidelity. You mentioned that it is based on someone you know. Have you told this person about the song? What would you do in a scenario like this? Would you tolerate infidelity?
I did tell the person, just to clear it. It’s really just about being in a terrible relationship that you can’t get out of. I definitely wouldn’t tolerate infidelity!
13.We heard “Enemy” has danceable moments. Sometimes you have to dance your troubles away, right?
Absolutely I hope a lot of people dance to it! In the words of Mike Reno, "Everybody’s workin for the weekend.”
14.After the EP is released, what will be next for you? Do you plan to go on tour?
I plan to tour as much as I can, and finally meet some of my fans face to face.
15.Are you still in touch with other Voice contestants from your season?
I still talk to a lot of them, and I've become very close with Barry Black. He's like a brother to me.
16.What are Preston´s Top 5 songs of the moment?
1. "Pull Me Down" by Mikky Ekko
2. "My Story" by R Kelly
3. "Berlin" by RY X
4. "Cavalier" by Vincent McMorrow
5. "From Chains to Freedom" from The Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Soundtrack
17.What is a country that you haven’t visited yet that you would love to explore one day and why?
Japan! I just really love the old culture.
18.What is Preston’s dream duet? What do you admire of that particular singer?
I would love to sing with Katy Perry. She has a power house voice and a great pop mind. I think she is underrated.
19.What advice would you give to future The Voice contestants?
Rest when you can! (laughs) Be yourself!
20.Thank you for your time, Preston! Any last thing that you would like to share with our readers at Direct Lyrics?
My debut single, "Livin" is out on June 17th! (TODAY) Get it on iTunes and follow me on Twitter at @PrestonPohl for all the details!
Nicki Minaj & Ariana Grande’s “Bed” Music Video Has The Worst Editing In History: Watch
Listen To Zayn’s Take On Jhené Aiko’s 2013 Song “Bed Peace”: “Z2 Is Coming…”
Ariana Grande’s “God Is A Woman” Music Video Is Her Most Artistic And Beautiful One: A Must-Watch!
Tinashe Is Over "Joyride": Premieres Liberating New Song “Like I Used To”!
Childish Gambino's New Songs "Summertime Magic" & "Feels Like Summer" Are Nothing Like "This Is America": Listen Now!
Twenty One Pilots Release Two New Songs, Announce Fifth Album & “Bandito” World Tour!
Ariana Grande Makes Religion Sexy With New Song “God Is A Woman”: PREMIERE