Exclusive Interview: Jake Miller On Brand New EP, Dream Collaboration & Favorite Body Part!
Jake Miller will be releasing a brand EP later this month and Directlyrics.com has caught up with the good-looking singer-songwriter to speak of this new era. From the the lead single "Wait for You" (whose music video premiered on YouTube just yesterday... watch it below!), signing to Sony Music, his upcoming new tour or what does he do to stay in amazing shape, we pretty much discussed about everything.
"Wait for You" music video:
For tickets for Jake's new tour, click here.
His upcoming EP is very dear to Jake's heart as he wrote and produced all the songs.
1. Hey Jake, where are you answering this Q&A from and how has your day been like so far?
I’m currently in Los Angeles, and the “Wait For You” video came out today so today was an amazing day!
2. You have a new single out called “Wait For You”. For those who may not have heard the song yet, how would you describe the lyrics and sound of “Wait For You”?
I wanted to make a song that was 80’s inspired. I combined 2019 electronic synths/plucks with 80’s drums and an 80’s driving bass. I love how it feels like multiple songs in one. Lyrically, I wanted to write a song about waiting for someone because I know it’s something a lot of people can relate to. You’ll always wait for someone if you think they're worth the wait.
3. “Wait For You” is the first single from a new EP you plan to release at the end of March. What can you tell us about this new project of yours?
This EP includes 6 of my favorite songs I’ve ever made. I’ve pushed myself to try new things and it really paid off.
4. What is your songwriting process like? Do you like to write at a specific place? Do you still use a pen or just voice notes? What are some songwriting anecdotes from the songs of this upcoming EP?
I always use voice notes on my phone to record gibberish melodies. It almost always starts with that, then I put music to the gibberish. Lastly, I put lyrics to all the melodies. I save that for last because I think it’s the most important part. I wrote this entire EP in my bedroom, but there was a part that was recorded in NJ at Barbershop Studios, where I recorded a choir on the outro of the EP. It was the highlight of the EP creative process.
5. To support your new EP you will be touring American throughout April and May. What can fans expect your from your upcoming concerts? Is the setlist ready? Will there be any covers?
On this tour, I will play all 6 songs from the new EP as well as all the old fans favorites. And definitely a cover or two!
6. You have been an independent artist for the last few years, and you appeared to be very comfortable with that status, however you recently signed a record deal with Sony’s Red Music. Was the Sony offer too irresistible? What went through your head?
I always promised myself that I would never sign to another label unless I REALLY felt the love. When Sony reached out, they proved to me that they would make me a priority and that’s exactly what they've done. I’m so happy with our partnership.
7. Who is your dream collaboration? Why him/her? And how do you imagine your original song to be like?
A dream collaboration would be with John Mayer because he has taught me so much about music and emotion. I would love to sit down and write a stripped down song, just me, him, and a guitar.
8. What are your Top 5 favorite songs of the moment?
“I’m So Tired” by Lauv and Troye Sivan; “The Internet” by Jon Bellion; “Sincerity is Scary” by The 1975; “Tequila” by Dan and Shay; and “Tints” by Anderson Paak.
9. You always seem to be in great shape. What is your favorite exercise and what is your favorite body part?
I love working out my shoulders, I don’t know why but they are the most fun for me to work out. I need to work out my legs more…
10. Thank you for your time, Jake! Any last thing you would to tell our DirectLyrics.com readers?
Thank you to everyone who has given me their continued support over the years! The best is yet to come!