This woman needs no introduction. You already know her. Emily Warren has written songs for the likes of The Chainsmokers, Frenship, Sean Paul, Melanie Martinez, or Shawn Mendes. But it was Emily’s work with The Chainsmokers in particular which really launched her name out to the world. She wrote the Grammy-winning song “Don't Let Me Down” and she was a co-singer on the chart-topping hit “Paris”. See? You did know Emily!
Now, the talented New Yorker is stepping into the spotlight alone. She recently released her debut single “Hurt By You” (see our review here), and we’re just in love with it. It’s an organic pop song with a harsh message, but one that must be listened to, especially when it’s sung by Emily’s moving and soul-piercing vocals.
We at Direct Lyrics had the opportunity to interview Emily Warren last weekend and she told us all about her new music, what she plans to do next, working with The Chainsmokers, performing on “Saturday Night Live” or with whom she’d like to record a collaboration in the future.
A must-read is ahead!
1. Hi Emily! Where are you answering this Q&A from and how's your day been like so far?
Hey! I'm actually sitting in a park in New Orleans. I'm on tour at the moment, and a few of my friends came out for the weekend and it's my day off! I'm having the best time - this city is ridiculous.
2. You recently released your debut single "Hurt By You". What inspired the lyrics of this song?
These lyrics were inspired by feelings I was having when I was first falling in love with my boyfriend. It's scary to make yourself so vulnerable to another person, but letting go of that fear is what makes love possible. This song is a reminder to myself to let go of that fear and take whatever risk might come along with doing so.
3. Is "Hurt By You" part of an upcoming EP or full length album? Your fans want more new music!
Hell yeah!! An album is definitely in the works. New songs very soon...
4. You're currently releasing your music independently. With your resume, I'm sure major labels have called. What are your thoughts on independent vs major?
I haven't brought on a label yet because, at the moment, I don't feel like I have the need for one. I kind of want to see how far we can get on our own and play by our own rules. At least for now.
5. You are worldwide known thanks to your work with The Chainsmokers. What are your thoughts on their rise to stardom career and what's your relationship with the guys right now?
I absolutely love Drew and Alex. It has been so inspiring and motivating watching them rise with such class and good intention. They're great people and it's been such a pleasure sharing in this with them. We're best friends!!
6. We could see you performing "Paris" with The Chainsmokers on "Saturday Night Live" not long ago. What are your memories from such legendary night?
That was INSANE! So surreal. Half way through the performance it hit me and I realized what was happening and that I was actually performing on SNL, and I got a huge smile on my face.
7. What are Emily Warren's most listened songs right now? A top 5?
"Breathe" Astrid S.
"Make it Work" Majid Jordan
"Life of the Party" Chelsea Jade
"Not Nice" PARTYNEXTDOOR
and "Misty" by Ella Fitzgerald because I am at all times listening to this song.
8. What’s a song from any time you wish you had written yourself and why?
Anything by George and Ira Gershwin... or John Mayer... or "Jealous" by Labrinth. And all because of the perfect lyric and melody combo!!
9. If you could hit the studio and collaborate with any artist tomorrow, who would it be and why him/her?
Brian Wilson!!! Because how sick would that be... I feel like that would be life changing.
10. Thank you for this time, Emily! Any last thing you'd like to share with our readers?
HAVE A NICE DAY! <3