Earlier this week, UK's very own MOBO Awards celebrated its 16th edition with a vibrant ceremony held at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC) in the city of Glasgowc - For those who don't know the MOBOs, these awards are held annually in the United Kingdom to recognise artists of any ethnicity or nationality performing black music. In the 2011 edition, newcomer Jessie J was the big winner of the October 5th night, taking in total four MOBO awards home. Oher winners were; Rapper Tinie Tempah who won 'Best UK Hip Hop/Grime Act', Bajan beauty Rihanna scored 'Best International Act', and goddess Adele conquered the 'Best UK R&B/Soul Act' prize.
Ok, wait a minute! I would perfectly understand Adele's award since she's a 'soulful' songstress but Jessie J? Say what!? What is she doing there? How exactly is her music is of black origin? Is it because of her 'hood/street' lyrics in 'Do It Like A Dude'? LOL...I reeeeally don't see the logic of Jessie J's presence in the MOBOS, sorry. She's pop, end of the story.
On the performances side, the 2011 MOBOs saw Jessie J, Alexis Jordan, Dionne Bromfield, and Katy B all hit the SECC stage. Chavvy-looking Jessie J sang 'Do It Like A Dude', Alexis Jordan looked flawless while performing her hit "Happiness", Katy B slayed with her angelic vocals performing "Broken Record", and finally the super-talented Dionne Bromfield paid a tribute to her godmother Amy Winehouse covering her 'Back to Black' single "Love Is a Losing Game". RIP Amy! Dionne's performance really moved me :(.
Which performance did you like the most?
- New Music: Neon Hitch - "Yard Sale"
- Linkin Park - "Final Masquerade"
- French Montana - "R&B Bitches"
- Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - "Anything Goes"
- Jessie J Performs "Bang Bang" & Covers "Stay With Me" on "Elvis Duran"
- New Music: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - "Anything Goes"
- New Music: Maroon 5 - "It Was Always You"
- Hilary Duff - "Chasing The Sun"
- New Music: Fences – ‘Arrows’
- New Music: Jasmine V – ‘That’s Me Right There’
- New Music: Jessie J - "Bang Bang"
- New Music: G-Unit - "Come Up"
- Christina Perri Performs "Burning Gold" on "The Today Show"
- Inna - "Good Time"
- New Music: Hilary Duff - "Chasing The Sun"